(09) 529 1000

Become A Driver

Discount Taxis

Company contract driver

Discount Taxis drivers contract to NZTVans Limited and use company vehicles. The driver pays for petrol, the company pays all other vehicle costs. Drivers pay 20% of the value of work supplied by Discount Taxis and $195.00 per week for vehicle hire. We currently have limited positions available. 

Driver Requirements:

To become a small passenger service driver you need a passenger endorsement on your license. To get an endorsement you need to have held a full licence for 2 years, no medical conditions that affect professional driving, and no major criminal or driving convictions. If you have lived overseas you may be required to obtain a criminal & driving history report from the country you lived in. 


- Medical certificate (Doctors are supplied with forms from Land Transport, Applicants ask their doctor for a certificate to drive a small passenger vehicle)

- Filled out Application form for passenger endorsement from AA or VTNZ and processed by these agencies. (You will also be required to do an eye sight test if 
  not completed with your medical certificate)

- Land transport vetting ($90)

The time frame for land transport processing is 5 to 10 working days.

Small Passenger service licence (SPSL)

All drivers need to have a small Passenger service licence or must driver under a small Passenger service licence holders licence. A Passenger service licence holder is called a facilitator, and is required to oversee all drivers that driver under their licence, are operating correctly and comply with Land Transport regulations.

Discount Taxis is a SPSL holder and as a facilitator can offer drivers the ability to driver under the company’s small Passenger service licence.


Owner Drivers (Cars &Vans)

What sort of vehicle can I use?

You can use Stationwagons or Vans as long as it is no older than 10 years old and is large enough to comfortably carry 4 or more passengers.

- Your Vehicle requires a COF (the commercial version of a WOF)
-  Change of Vehicle usage, your Vehicle will need to registered as a private hire Vehicle
- As your Vehicle will be operating as a commercial vehicle you will need suitable insurance.




Email Discount Taxis with your name and contact details by clicking on to the contact us subpage and we will contact you about becoming a driver for Minishuttle direct.